Chapter 6: Wandering

**Note: Guess what! There is more violence in this chapter! Yeah!**
     Lark decided to leave Cavion the next day. His mind was full of uncertainties, but he was sure that there was nothing left for him in Cavion. Briana was dead and the village was in ruins. Only a handful of people survived the attack and they were all wounded.
     Lark quickly packed up some extra clothes and the little bit of food he could find. The only semi-useful thing he could find was a Lightning materia, which he equipped to his armlet with the other three. Soon he was ready to leave and without a word or knowledge of where he was going, he set off into the forests and plains around Cavion. He knew only that he wanted to get as far away as he could from the village, so he set out for Junon Harbor.
     Questions jammed his head. Why did the Shinra attack Cavion? That was easy to answer. The Shinra are ruthless, power-hungry, and greedy. They would do anything if it helped them achieve their goals. Who was that man that looked like him? That one was a little harder. That man could have been anyone or anything. He might have even been a clone. He had heard of such things, clones being made without the knowledge of the original person. Why was everyone calling him Sean? He didn't remember that name and didn't recognize anyone he had seen. Most importantly, what did that man mean when he said, "Your battle is just beginning."?
     "For that answer," Lark said out loud, "I will just have to wait."
     He looked around and saw that the sun was sinking below the horizon. He didn't realize that he had walked for so long. His stomach rumbled from lack of food and his legs ached from the days march. Slowly, he set up camp in a grove of trees and lit a small fire. Then he ate a small meal and went to sleep.
     A low growl aroused him from his sleep. He looked around and saw a small dragon just outside the firelight.
     "What? There isn't supposed to be any dragons around here." Lark said sleepily.
     He rose to his feet and drew his sword from its sheath lying next to him. He noticed other shadowy figures roaming around him beyond the firelight. There were at least ten of them, each the size of a Nibel Wolf. One dragon let out a menacing growl and started toward him. It flashed its gleaming white teeth in a wicked grin. The teeth were like blades jutting from its gapping maw. It lowered its body onto its hind legs and sprang for Lark's throat, but Lark turned away and sliced the dragon's side. The wounded beast cried in fury and the other dragons tightened the circle around Lark.
     "They're not going to let me go. This could get ugly," said Lark. Then he turned toward the wounded dragon. "I hope this finishes you off. Ice!"
     A cold wind blew around them and large shards off ice slammed into the dragon. The shards pierced its scaled skin like an armor-piercing bullet. Its blood crystallized as it seeped through the fist-sized holes. The dragon fell to the ground under the weight of its frozen body. Its unholy cries ended and it lay motionless, dead.
     Another dragon dived at Lark, but he ducked under the spear point claws and thrusted his sword into the beasts soft underbelly. Lark swung the convulsing dragon off his sword and it collided with two other charging dragons.
     Some of the black ichor that is dragon's blood dripped down the Sword of Leah and fell onto Lark's hand. The thick blood burned his skin.
     "This stuff's like acid!" He yelled.
     Suddenly, the blue crystalline sword flared to life. The black blood melted away as the sword started to glow with an inner fire. A picture of a charging dragon filled Lark's mind and he turned in time to see the beast lunge at him. Green saliva dripped from between its teeth and a foul stench exploded from its rotting jaw. Lark sidestepped just in time to avoid its rotting teeth. He swung his sword in a wide arch above the dragon's head. It stared, dazzled by the blue light. Lark swung again, chopping off the dragon's head.
     A shrill scream erupted behind him. He turned and saw a dragon being eaten through by another's corrosive blood. Another dragon was already a pile of blackened bones.
     Five dragons lay dead at his feet and the other half started circling his aggressively. He whirled to meet the first dragon as it jumped at his back. Lark arched his sword upward and sliced across its chest. Two more rushed in at his sides, only to be cut down by quick slashes of the glowing sword. Two dragons were left, fear showing in their eyes. One turned to flee, but Lark was overcome with bloodlust.
     "Bolt!" He yelled.
     The night sky darkened even more with the magical energy. Thunder cracked and a bolt of lightning flashed through the air. It crackled and sizzled as it struck the beast's body. It convulsed as the lightning jolted through it. It fell to the ground, one more dead.
     The remaining dragon knew it would die. It gave a roar of fury and sprang at Lark. Its jaw clamped onto his arm, its teeth sunk into his flesh. With a rush of adrenaline, Lark hurled the beast away and stepped back toward the fire. The beast rose again and charged at Lark. He turned away just in time and the dragon fell into the fire. The fire crackled in delight and burned brighter. The beast cried in agony as the flames consumed it. From the fire rose the stench of charred flesh.
     Slowly, Lark turned away from the fire and sat back against a tree. His right arm ached from the dragon's bite.
     "Cure." He said softly as the blue light surrounded his arm and the magic healed the wound.
     A roar sounded from above him. Startled, he looked up and saw a huge beast flying above him. Its scales were blacker than the night and a thick mane of blonde hair topped its head. Its teeth gleamed brightly in the firelight. Lark could see sword like teeth jutting from its jaw. The teeth shined like the souls of the people consumed by this great beast. It roared again and a jet of purple flame shot from its mouth.
     "Dammit! Not another dragon. This ones an adult too." Lark said wearily.
     Slowly he got to his feet, leaning on his sword for balance. He looked up at the dragon's floating form and raised his sword in defiance. The dragon roared again, showering flames through the air. Then it swooped upwards and glided around Lark, preparing to dive. Lark turned with the shadowy dragon, making sure to keep his eye on it at all times.
     Suddenly, the dragon turned away and flew behind Lark with remarkable speed. It locked its wings and dived at him. Lark turned just in time to see the flame glowing in the dragon's mouth. The dark fire exploded from its mouth just as Lark jumped away. He landed hard on the ground and rolled away from the gliding dragon. The ground where he was standing was blackened and barren.

Chapter 7: A Dragon Enraged

Return to the Title Page